Thursday, May 23, 2013

Victoria Island – Tourist Town

Day 19

When visiting Vancouver, most people will say you must spend at least a day in Victoria. Unfortunately, getting there is a big commitment.  There are two primary ways to get there.  Ferry (you can bring your car if you plan on driving around) or flying via seaplane.  Since the ferry took upwards of three hours each way, I decided to fly.  Having never flown on a seaplane, it made the whole experience so much better.  First off, I had Andie MacDowell (Four Weddings and Funeral) on my flight.  She was easy to spot and has an incredibly unique voice and with a twelve passenger plane, you couldn’t help but identify her.  The take-off and landing in the water were pretty cool and views over the many islands was awesome.  Definitely the best way to get to Victoria! 
 

Victoria will probably be the most touristy destination that I visit on my whole trip.  Though there is a pretty large population that lives there, the whole island revolves around tourism.  Victoria is actually beautiful, with great restaurants, shopping and fun tourist-type of things to do – rent mopeds, ride open-air buses and eat, however, to me, it was a been there, done that kind of experience.  Not sure I would go back.  One of the most beautiful parts about the island is the Fairmont Hotel, which sits right in the center of town and overlooks the bay.  Not sure the room prices, but I would imagine it’s not cheap!
 






Though the weather was bit sketchy, I was able to enjoy a couple of glasses of wine at a great out-door restaurant and listen to a number of high school bands play big-band era music in the bay to celebrate Victoria Day, which is a national holiday in Canada.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment