Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bob


Day 23-25

Me and Bob
In life we meet many people.  Some have an impact in your life, some become good friends and some just acquaintances.  Then there’s Bob Kelly.  I met Bob when I travelled in Up with People more than 30 years ago.  He was our cast director, which meant he was the “top dog.”  Whatever he said, went!  Unlike, most persons in a position of power, Bob had the ability to make you feel good about the situation regardless of the circumstances.  Every person in our cast (approximately 120) had a personal relationship with him.  He was like a father-figure, though he was only a few years older than all the rest of us.  He was wise beyond his years. 
Dinner with Bob, Sheila, Ben, Laura and 92-year-old Susie
Bob's "See Through" Drink
Over the course of the year that I travelled with Bob he made a greater impact in my life than any other person other than my parents….and I’m sure all of my cast mates would say the same thing.  He’s travelled the world and has more stories than any person I have ever met.  As such, the opportunity to hang out with Bob, his wonderful wife Sheila and their soon-to-be high school graduate daughter Ada in their home town of Great Falls, Montana was too much to pass up.

Though I have kept in touch with Bob over the years and seen him regularly, it's never enough.

As a GF city commissioner Bob is versed on all things happening in town and everywhere we went I heard, “Hi Bob,” more times than I could count.  I started calling him Mayor Bob.  Over the course of two plus days, we did just about everything you could do in a town of 50K, including:
  • Mountain biking tour of the city
  • Enjoyed Sheila's great meals
  • Met Ada's incredible and motivated friends who are readying for college
  • Attended Great Falls High School State softball finals against Billings High School (GF Won!)
  • Visited the grand opening of a community garden project
  • Drank plenty of see-throughs (gin martinis)
  • Ran his dog Anabelle
  • Had Friday night dinner with is 92-year-old neighbor Susie (she had a see-through as well)
  • Went to see Wylie Gustafson and his country band in concert (he’s well-known for singing the Yahoo yodel)
  • Took a tour of a trout farm
  • Learned what a Hutterite is (a religious that hails from Germany – look like Amish) and that they lived in his home for over a year, while he and his family lived in Costa Rica
  • Had a couple of beers at world famous Sip ‘n Dip Tiki Bar at 2 o’clock in the afternoon
  • Learned how bear spray works to prevent them from attacking you!!! 
And, if that's not enough, we talked about everything under the sun. Absolutely one of the best weekends I've had in a long time.  However, I'm not sure I have the energy for another visit with Bob in the near future.



No comments:

Post a Comment