Monday, May 20, 2013

Bellingham Bay -- My Retirement Town

Day 18:

I realize that my trip is still pretty young.  With just a little over two weeks into it, but I have to tell you I think I may have found the coolest town in America. I often wonder where I might live if I had the choice to live anywhere in the world.  Yes, I think of exotic places like Barcelona and Paris.  I even become realistic and think of places like Palm Springs, as I love the heat and figure playing golf and tennis wouldn't be a bad thing or Charlotte, where my brother John lives.  However, I have always been intrigued with cool small town.  Now granted I grew up in a small town -- but to my sister Elaine and brother Gary's chagrin, Barstow is far from cool.  Thus, as I drive the back roads of the country during this trip, I am always looking for that town that really draws my attention.  I want someplace that is smallish, but still has a lot to do, particularly when you compare it to my two home towns of NY and San Diego which have plenty to do, but are HUGE in comparison.  Well I think I may have found that town -- Bellingham Bay, Washington. 

First it is located right on the coast just south of the Canadian border, thus it has some of the most amazing "ridge houses" you have ever seen that cling onto mountainsides with incredible views of the ocean.  Second, it has a great "middle-America" downtown, with lots of coffee shops (Washinton is the Starbucks capital of the world) and locals riding bikes and doing good for the community.  In addition, it also has Larrabee State Park (where I stayed) which has incredible beach access, hiking trails and camping.  And for good measure, it has a ferry landing where you can take an overnight trip and wake up in Alaska!! I may find someplace else that wins me over, but right now it's Bellingham Bay, Washington...that is until I visit it during the dead of winter!

2 comments:

  1. My choice for my eventual witness relocation site would be Sandpoint Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I didn't spend much time in Idaho. I had hoped to go river rafting on the Moyie River, but I was the only one registered and they need six, I guesss it's a bit too early in the season. Thus, I cruised through Idaho on to Montana.

    ReplyDelete