Sunday, May 5, 2013

Rate-a-Dive 2

Splash Cafe -- Pismo Beach

On my way up the coast my brother Ruben recommended that I stop in at the Splash Cafe because according to him, they have the best clam chowder in the country.  Since my whole trip is about finding the cool, off the beaten path-type of restaurants I figured this would be worthy of a stop-by.



Vibe -- 3

When you walk in this place it's hard to believe it has the best clam chowder in town, much less the best in the country.  Feels like you're walking into a fast-food restaurant from the '70s.  Walk up ordering with a long line, tile floors, cheap tables and fold-up chairs, not to mention the extremely tacky decor.  However, the service was fantastic and the food deliverers have a good time yelling out names like Spicoli (Fast Times)? Stiffmeister (American Pie)? based upon what a person looks like.  The place has been around since the mid-50s in the very same location which is pretty cool but it really is lacking in charm.

Grub -- 10

The long line of people waiting to order should have tipped me off about the quality of the food.  Unfortunately, I'm slow like that and didn't pick up on it. However, once I sat down to chow on my fried oysters and curly fries, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  The dish was amazing!!  Not too much batter and the cocktail dipping sauce had a nice slap in the face spiciness to it that kept you wanting more.  Oh and by the way the clam chowder was absolutely incredible.  What the place lacked in atmosphere, it more than made up for in quality food.


Spirits -- 5

Fortunately Splash did have beer, which was a nice surprise, however, it only had bottled domestics.  This place was screaming out for an ice cold premium draft or microbrew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment