Friday, May 17, 2013

Rate-A-Dive 4: Go Big or Go Home

Rate-a-Dive 4 -- Loose Caboose -- Seaview, Washington

So along the way I am trying to hit cool and unique spots to eat to ensure that I am tasting the local cuisine.  Some times it works and some times it doesn't.  I was about thirty miles into Washington State driving up the 101 looking for something to eat when I'm driving through a town called Seaview, WA.  I come across one of the more unique restaurants, in fact, I wasn't really sure it was a restaurant, much less open for business.  It was called Loose Caboose.  One of the funny things about small towns is the locals you meet.  I was asking a young guy (18 years old) who was the son of the owner of the Loose Caboose, what there was to see up the Long Beach Peninsula, which was
approximately 25 miles from where we were.  The guy says, "I'm not really sure, I've never been there" -- 25 miles away, and he's never been there...crazy!!  I think at one time it was probably a train caboose, though it was a bit difficult to detect.  Once inside it was all about trains...

Vibe -- 7

This small cafe looked like it hadn't changed in 50 years.  Even some of the positive editorials hanging on the walls about the restaurant were from the '80s and yellowed like an old newspaper gets when it's been in the sun a few hours.  Everywhere you looked there were trains, and top it off, there was a model train track that ran along the top of the walls and circled the entire restaurant.  So while you're eating you get to enjoy the sounds of a choo choo train!  Too funny!

Grub -- 9

Though I was there at 2 pm and breakfast ended at noon, the cook said no problem when I tried to order it (could be the fact that I was the only person in the place).  I figured when in Rome, do what the Roman's do. Thus, I went big.  Eggs, bacon and of course biscuits and gravy.  To tell you it was amazing would be an understatement.  This off-the-beaten path diner, killed it with a lunchtime breakfast.  I had to have the waitress/owner take a picture to document!!
 

Booze -- N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment