Monday, May 6, 2013

Marin County -- The Birthplace of Mountain Biking

Day 3:

So I roll into Marin County to see my fraternity little bro Doug McIntosh with the idea that we would meet up for a short mountain bike ride then stop for a bite to eat.  Boy was I in for a surprise.  After a 45 minute street ride up hill (I suppose the thinking is that you need to go uphill in order to ultimately go downhill), we finally hit the trails of Marin.  This is an especially revered place to mountain bikers because it is where mountain biking actually was founded and it is evident everywhere including a monument to the repack trail which was the first "official" mountain biking trail.


The views at the top of the mountains were breathtaking.  You could see all the way to San Francisco bay. 

I think Doug forgot that I don't mountain everyday and I think I forgot that I'm not 25 because the downhill ride was crazy on the edge riding.  He kept assuring me that it was going to get tamer, that we were near the end and that this was not nearly as difficult as the nighttime riding that he and his friends do (freaking nuts), so sit back and enjoy!


The ride was exhilerating!!  It was aggressive, a great work out and one of the coolest things I had done in a long time.  I had only one small crash which was a bit difficult to get up from because I was face first, facing down hill with my body contorted to look like a pretzel all the while straddling my bike.  Doug says "if you don't have a little road rash, then you're not really riding hard."  Whatever!!


No comments:

Post a Comment